Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I gotta know tonite, if you're alone tonite...

I want to retract something I wrote in that last post. Def Leppard was incorrectly categorized as fluffy bullshit. Monkey called me out on it, and having just come back from seeing the band play at Walnut Creek Ampitheatre here in Raleigh, I officially recant. I never meant it in the first place. Winger = fluffy bullshit. Def Leppard = badass second wave British hard rock.

God I do love that band. Hysteria and Animal are possibly my two favorite songs from the 1980s. The production for Gods of War would baffle Queen. Run Riot just rocks. And while I'm sick to death of Pour Some Sugar On Me (primarily as a result of my senior live television production project), the place exploded when they kicked into the chorus. They stayed away from Adrenalize, focusing on the perfection of High and Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria. Fine by me. Rock out with your you know what out. Weenus out.

Phil Collen is such an underrated AND underappreciated guitarist. He's really become the nexus of that band. The orchestration between him and Vivian Campbell was just amazing; Thin Lizzy, Priest, Maiden and Def Leppard did/do the twin guitar thing better than anyone. Love it! Although Joe's voice is failing a bit (just the high range, really), the instruments were spot on. Vocally, the other guys really punched up those classic harmonies, too. And Rick Allen was doing some pretty cool stuff with the drums. My buddy Ken, who's played for more than 20 years now, was commenting on his right hand technique... He would.
Yarp, damn fine rock show. Closed with Rock of Ages. Rock.

I was commenting to another friend, more of a question really - what kind of middle age are we going to have with regard to music? Which bands are we going to go digging through boxes to find that crusty old concert tee for? Most of the bands I followed late in high school or college have busted up or died. If the Pixies get back together when I'm 45 I'll poop a golden wristwatch that tells time in 12 different time zones. Or Pavement. Or Archers of Loaf. No, we're gonna get saddled with motherfucking Candlebox and Creed double-bills.

I also have to add that while I'm not a fan, Styx opened for Leppard and played The Grand Illusion in its entirity. That kinda rocked. Vocally they may be the tightest band I've ever seen (not ever having seen Queen or N'Sync). Four part harmonies throughout. Color me impressed! We did not, however, arrive in time for Foreigner. So much the better. I despise that band. Overplayed on classic rock radio to the point that I spontaneously fart lava and thumbtacks whenever one of their songs begins to play, I just can't tolerate them in the least. I'd rather listen to Toto. OK, I'd listed to Toto anyway. I'd arther listen to Sid Viscious' cover of My Way for an hour while being flicked in the gonads with one of those county fair rubber band guns. I hate Foreigner. Monkey, you defend that band and we're through. Finished. Done.

Instead, tell 'em about the time your mom wouldn't let you go to the Def Leppard concert with your sister. That story officially made me your friend.

-Mittens

No comments: